Operational Functionality for the Most Advanced Operators
Digital Voice Recorder
Recorded list display
Whether operating phone, CW, RTTY or PSK31/63, the IC-7851 has a convenient memory keyer to ease operations. Record your CQ, station information or other items in one of 8 keyer memories for the CW and digital modes; 4 memories for phone operation. For CW, the memory keyer has timesaving functions like auto repeat, contest serial number counter and short Morse number functions. For phone operation, you have a voice-saving auto repeat function.
Improved Automatic Antenna Tuner
The automatic antenna tuner utilizes tune setting memories to record the best tuner configuration for the lowest SWR. This allows a faster response time when jumping bands or moving around in the same band.
Internal Memory Switch
With six antenna ports – two receive-only and four receive/transmit – the IC-7851 enables the operator to have fingertip control over a vast array of antenna configurations. Switch to 80/160m and you want to use your beverage antenna for receive, but transmit on your vertical. Not a problem: the antenna switch memory will automatically switch antennas when you select the band you want to operate. This is very convenient when using the RS-BA1 for remote base operation.
Enhanced PC Connectivity
The IC-7851 has various computer interfaces, giving you maximum connectivity between your computer and radio. Digital modes become a snap when controlling with the USB port. USB audio and some CI-V commands including USB send (DTR/RTS) and USB keying (CW and RTTY) are selectable. You can also interface your computer with the S/P DIF optical digital interface provides audio I/O. The Ethernet jack allows you to connect the IC-7851 directly to your router and control your radio over your wireless Internet, or travel the globe and operate your station remotely over the Internet.
Firmware Update Capability
The IC-7851 can grow as feature and function enhancements become available via the USB or your SD Card.
Simplified Remote Control
Remote base operation is made easy as the IC-7851 operating system incorporates the remote base server software. A computer is not required in the shack for audio or rig control. Up to three, unique user log-in/password configurations are part of the internal server. As the rig control has a priority of service, the controls will feel like you are right in front of your rig.
Optional RS-BA1 main features
- Most functions of your transceiver, including interference rejection functions and IF filter settings, can be controlled. Also, received signal strength and SWR can be observed on the computer display.
- Received voice recording function.
- Optional RC-28 USB remote encoder provides a hardware dial/transmit functions for a realistic dial operation.
- The IC-7851 can wake-up from the standby mode through the RS-BA1 software.
Other Outstanding Features
- BNC type RX input/output connectors for receiver antennas or external attenuators
- General coverage receiver covers from 30Hz to 60MHz* (* Some frequency ranges are not guaranteed.)
- Two types of preamplifiers:
Preamp 1: improves intermodulation characteristics
Preamp 2: High gain preamp for high bands
- A seven step attenuator (3, 6, 9, 12, 18, 21dB and OFF)
- A dedicated 50MHz band mixer using a Quad FET
- Twin peak filters for better RTTY signal reception
- Speech compressor increases average talk power (SSB mode)
- TX monitor functions
- Fifty sub-audible tones (CTCSS) for repeater access
- VOX (Voice operated transmission) capability
- All mode power control
- DSP controlled CW keying waveform shaping
- Multi-function electronic keyer with adjustable keying speed, dot/dash ratio, keyer type, rise time and paddle polarity
- Electronic keyer speed popup
- CW pitch control from 300 to 900Hz (5Hz pitch)
- CW reverse mode operation for receiving USB side signal
- Double key jacks for front and rear panels
- Full break-in and semi break-in functions
- CW/AM auto tuning function helps to zero in on intended signals within ±500Hz range
- Soft and sharp audio filter shapes for the Audio Peak Filter (APF)
- Set mode functions for flexible and speedy settings
- Memo pads stores up to 10 operating frequencies and modes
- Quick split function and split lock functions
- Quick Dualwatch function
- SSB/CW synchronous tuning
- RIT and ⊿TX variable up to 9.999kHz
- UTC/Local clock and timer function
- 1Hz pitch tuning and display
- 101 memory channels with 10-character channel name
- Built-in voice synthesizer announces the operating frequency, mode, and S-meter level
- Programmed scan, memory scan, select memory scan, VSC scan and ⊿f scan
- Auto tuning step function
- Dial lock function
- Main dial tension control
- Programmable band edge beeps
- S/P DIF input/output connectors
- BNC type transverter connector
- External speaker connectors for Main/Sub receivers
- FFT scope waveform averaging function for PSK and RTTY decoder
- Screen saver function